By JR Wilson, email@example.com
The Adagio Peace Machine suggests a new approach to music theory and analysis. The Adagio was created specifically to measure the underlying “flow” in music. The Adagio is an entirely new way to experience and visualize music, to assist in performing music (both as a conductor and/or performer), and to provide a whole new methodology for music analysis and theory.
The Adagio can be thought of as a new arrow in the Musicologist’s quiver. It provides a new, unique way of viewing the psychological impact and esthetic effectiveness of a music composition.
- The Adagio was created specifically to measure the underlying “flow” in music. The Adagio is an entirely new way to experience and visualize music, to assist in performing music (both as a conductor and/or performer), and to provide a whole new approach to music analysis and theory.
- Since this is a unique one-of-a-kind instrument, unknown to but a few, perhaps it would be useful to initially express to the reader what The Adagio is not:
- It is NOT tied to rhythm. In fact, it is almost the antithesis of rhythm, flowing and pushing back against the discreet rhythmic events.
- It is NOT tied to melody or harmonic content, as “the flow” had no reference to pitch or duration of notes.
- It DOES reveal and measure an entirely new dimension in music.
- The Adagio can be used for music analysis. My article Measuring Flow Rate in Music, demonstrates how The Adagio can be used for music composition analysis, and provides an example using Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 21.
The Adagio in Psychology & Music Therapy
- The Adagio, with repeated use, can positively affect the viewer psychologically. It has been scientifically validated in a research study conducted at Nova University to activate the right brain hemisphere, and to reduce the stress level in the study’s experimental subjects. My article, Stress Reduction and Right Brain Hemisphere Activation – a Research Study, provides an overview of this study, and contains a link to the original research document.
- As a proven “stress reducer”, The Adagio may be an effective tool for treating stress related diseases and personality/behavioral disorders, such as:
- Heart Disease
- Depression and Anxiety
- Inmate Rehabilitation
- Substance Abuse
- And many others
The Adagio Flow Machine – an example using classical music
Here is an example of The Adagio Flow Machine in action. In this case The Adagio is synchronized with Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 21. “Flow” is a component of all good music, this example of just one from the classical repertoire. Many similar examples exist in rap, jazz, rock and many other genres.
What is the Adagio Flow Machine? – a 2 minute video explains
The video below gives an overview of the Adagio; research, use in “flow”, and potential usage in the arts.